11 April 2018

5 Common Weeds That Are Harmful to Your Pets

With spring in full swing and summer just around the corner, it is prime time to start playing outside with your pets. Afterall, you and your pets need the sweet release that nature can offer you. The pets can release energy and you can relax in the fresh breeze of the season.

But as you are participating in more outdoor activities with your pet, you might want to take some precautions. Some plants, weeds specifically, can be quite harmful if your pet should ingest them. So keep your eyes peeled for these weeds when you take your pet to the dog park or an open field to play.

Bishop’s Weed--


Also known as laceflower, this seemingly innocent weed is not a force to be trifled with. When ingested, it can cause photosensitivity, which often results in rashes, blistering, and swelling. This weed is harmful to most animals, livestock included.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cowbane--


Another white flower, often mistaken for non-toxic flowers, cowbane can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, bloating, seizures, and in extreme cases, death. This weed is generally found in we, marshy places. So, if you go camping with your pets often in moist environments, keep your eye out for this unfriendly weed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Horseweed--


Horseweed is common in meadows and fields, and it grows rapidly as it competes for water with other plants that are near it. It can grow to be a few feet tall, which makes it easier for spotting, and it often grows in large clusters. Ingestion of this weed can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. It has also been known to cause skin irritation on contact with humans and animals.

If you live near a ditchbank or creeks, you might find these weeds growing around your home often. To clear them out, find a weed control service near you to help protect your pets.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grass Awns--


These plants, also known as foxtails, can be extremely harmful to your pets. The seeds of these plants release easily as an animal brushes up against them and can get lodged in a pets ears, eyes, nose, skin, or in between their toes. This can cause oozing infections. And if ingested, grass awns can also migrate to your pet’s internal organs over time.

As fun as a field of tall grass might be for your pet to play in, before you turn them loose, check to see what you are letting them play in.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perennial Sweet Pea--


These pink blossoms might be beautiful, but they are not fun for your pet when ingested. Frequent ingestion can cause weakness, tremors, seizures, and sometimes death. However, if you see your pet sneak a lick of these one time, it will likely only cause an upset stomach.

If you find that you pet is behaving abnormally after playing outside this spring or summer - vomiting, diarrhea, fatigued, or whining in pain - call your local veterinarian to see if they should be taken in to get checked out.

No comments: